How Long Should Toenails Be?
Table of Contents
Here are general foot care tips to guide you when it comes to your toenail length.
First, consider the type of activities you are partaking in and the style of shoes you wear most often. For instance, if you’re a runner, you should keep your toenails short enough so that they don’t jab into your skin or the end of your shoes as your feet experience extra pressure and impact when you’re running. If you frequently wear sandals, then you don’t want your toenails so short that they allow micro-organisms and bacteria to enter your skin, potentially leading to toenail fungus.
The Proper Way To care and Trim
Learning how to trim your toenails correctly will help protect you against ingrown toenails, which often lead to pain, discomfort, and possible infection.
- Wash your feet and dry them. This will help make your nails less brittle and easier to cut.
- Use a proper toenail cutting tool, such as nail clippers, and make sure they are clean and sanitized.
- Trim your nail straight across. This step is key. If you round the edges of your toenails or cut them at an angle, you risk the corners growing into your skin, which can be very painful.
As a best practice, cut your toenails so the edge reaches the tip of your toe.
- Be sure to eliminate any jagged edges by filing the cut nails down with an emery board. This will help prevent any snags or tears as your nail grows.
- Your toenail is there to protect your toes from the wear and tear you put on your feet each day. Following proper foot care tips to make sure trimmed correctly will help protect you from other foot problems too, such as ingrown toenails or
Where to Seeking Treatment
If you’ve been searching for podiatric for your foot and ankle needs, take time to meet with the Podiatry Group of Georgia. Our doctor has the experience and knowledge you need to help your feet and ankles feel their best. Give us a call today and set up an appointment for your initial consultation. Call us today
Call Our Marietta, Georgia Office Today at 404-806-3731, or Book your appointment online now!
Serving Marietta and Atlanta Area